About Safer Internet Day 2019
Safer Internet Day 2019 will be celebrated in the UK on Tuesday 5th February, focusing on the theme of:
Together for a better internet
The aim of Safer Internet Day is to inspire a national conversation about using technology responsibly, respectfully, critically and creatively.
Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre the celebration sees hundreds of organisations get involved to help promote the safe, responsible and positive use of digital technology for children and young people. Find out more at www.saferinternetday.org.uk.
The UK Safer Internet Centre is a partnership of three leading charities – Childnet International, Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) and the South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) – with a shared mission to make the internet a better place for children and young people. Globally, Safer Internet Day is celebrated in over a hundred countries, coordinated by the joint Insafe/INHOPE network, with the support of the European Commission, and national Safer Internet Centres across Europe.
This year in the UK, Safer Internet Day will focus on how consent works in an online context and will ask young people to explore how they ask, give, and receive consent online. This could be in their friendships or relationships, how they take and share images and videos or how they manage their privacy and data.
The campaign encourages young people to explore how the internet works, who owns the information that is shared on it, and how they can actively take ownership of digital spaces. We want SID 2019 to empower young people to take control of their online lives and to feel that they can harness and use the positive power of the internet for good.
We invite everyone to join us, and Safer Internet Day supporters across the globe, to help create a better internet on Tuesday 5 February 2019 and, indeed, throughout the whole year.
How you can support the day:
- Register as a supporter – Join the 1,000+ organisations across the UK who deliver activities for Safer Internet Day each year, from tech companies, banks and football clubs, to schools, police services and charities across the UK!
- Use our Campaign Toolkit – Help us spread the word about Safer Internet Day 2019 by using our campaign toolkit which includes; social media assets, blog post, and images
- Use our Education packs – These packs look at consent online and are designed to be used in education settings with a range of ages
- Watch SIDTV – These films complement our Educations Packs and be used as conversation starters
- Sign up for the Safer Internet Day Newsletter – to receive monthly news about Safer Internet Day, including the latest resources, launches and more